Wednesday, July 8, 2009

An Idea For Conservatism

I am a recovering left winger. During the 1960's/70's, I was active in demonstrating against the Vietnam War. I was chased on the streets of Washington, D.C. on mayday 1971. I saw the goons dispatched by Nixon emptying out of Hertz box rental trucks wielding big clubs and swinging them at just about anyone. I was exposed early to very left wing ideas.

Yet, after filtering out information, reading, talking ... you know .... finding out for myself, I decided that I was indeed a conservative on most issues. Liberterian on some, maybe liberal on one or two. But decidedly conservative.

I had no religious upbringing. I am not now religious.

I have observed that many liberals and moderates view conservatives carte blanche as the Religious Right. That is just not so. I see the religious right as part of the conservative umbrella.

I make the case to not make religion a centerpiece of conservatism. Values are not limited to the religious.

I propose that Secular Conservatism is perhaps one way to get the message out. There are many moderates that don't like the perceived religious underpinnings of conservatism. Personally, I could not care less about a persons individual characteristics ... religion, race, sexual preference, income, cars they drive, where they came from ... any of it.

This idea of Secular Conservatism is not new ... it is just now prominent. I don't know the person, but there is a blog entitled secularconservative.net

How does this relate to Dennis Moore? Glad you asked. The more we can expand the universe of persons open to defeating Dennis, the more likely it is to send him packing. He needs a real job again.

It's nothing personal Dennis. It is just that your party is behaving like they are in a Roman orgy ... of money. Any democrats defeated bring a chance for financial reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment